Wednesday 10 August 2016

The Bends

Released 8th March 1995
I bought it: Christmas 2000

Where I was…
I bought this at the same time as OK Computer that Christmas.

What I thought then…

This one had the bigger tunes, but the pretentious side of me probably preferred the complexity of OK Computer. I’m pretty sure I put together a CD compilation of my favourite songs from both albums, so they’ve blurred into one a bit. I used to write the lyrics to various songs off this album in my History binder, probably to show off more than anything.

What I think now…
The Bends comes across like a bit more of a 90s time capsule compared to OK Computer, but still each song feels like a close family member (one you get along with anyway). This is where the route I’m taking through these albums becomes a bit disorientating, as I’m going further and further away from where they were at with Kid A.

Another album that has been over-written about so I’m probably not going to add anything new. It is crazy to think how ridiculously accomplished this record is, and it was only album #2. This was an era where bands were afforded the time it took to release a few albums in order to grow. These days everything is expected to be fully formed, and it doesn’t get more fully formed than The Bends.

Next:
I’m a reasonable man, get off my case...

No comments: