Thursday 13 August 2015

The Futureheads - The Futureheads

Released 12th July 2004, 679 Recordings (Special Edition released 7th March 2005 so it still counts)

What I thought then...
I always loved Kenickie, so it was great that another band was getting attention from that part of the world. The first time I became properly aware of them was during the first big night out I had with a bunch of mates off my course. I heard this chanting start, and someone shouted in my ear “IT’S KATE BUSH!!!” And that was it. Love. I think we sang this as we went garden hopping on the way home, vagrants that we were.

What I think now...
Yet another short, spikey Epworth produced record. The first thing that hits you is the accents. The harmonies too, it makes a difference to have the whole band providing vocals. The first five tracks run by in 10 minutes, this album rushes like it has somewhere else to be. Then and now they sound like they’re having a hell of a lot of fun.

Standout Track

Hounds of Love would be an obvious choice, but I’ll always have a soft spot for Meantime.

Live Memories

I think I caught them at both Reading 2005 and 2006, first high up on the NME tent and the next mid afternoon lost on the main stage. There was also a weekender to see them at Nottingham Rock City, but this was around the time of their second album.

What Happened Next?
My interest in Futureheads probably mimics my views on a lot of the bands here: adored the first album, strongly interested in the second, downloaded the odd song off the third, vaguely aware other albums followed later. They’re still going, and they’re always a source of gift for my Stepdad, but through no real fault of their own, I’ve no idea what they’re up to. Unfortunately, the same can’t be said about my next subject...

Next Time: No show without punch…

Previously: Capture/Release | A Certain Trigger | Introduction

No comments: