Thursday 13 August 2015

10 Albums, 10 Years - Introduction to a Retrospective

In 2005, I turned 20 and was halfway through my time at university. I was also finally starting to get a life. This life mainly focused on going out, drinking and dancing ridiculously until the small hours. In one of those planets aligning moments, it was also the time British indie music started to get interesting again.

"The Class Of 2005" was a term coined by me and my companions at the time to describe a collection of groups that didn’t really have a whole lot in common with each other. It definitely felt like a better description compared to “Nu Britpop” or whatever the NME attempted to brand it at the time.

Walking to work the other morning I suddenly realised it's a decade since all this happened. I've been on the hunt for a writing project for a while, so here's a little retrospective of ten albums that provided the soundtrack to those days and nights. I’m planning to plot a history of what I thought about this album back then, what I think now listening to it again, and what happened next. This is history as I remember it and the present how I choose to see it. Like all my writing it’s totally biased and one sided.

I normally view nostalgia as bullshit, but everyone sells out eventually.


So, let's get started...

No comments: